Mens Initiative 2017
Welcome the the Men's Initiative 2017!
The aim of the initiative is simply to encourage males of all ages, but in particular those over the age of 30, to become more active and increase their level of physical activity.
Recent research by the Irish Sports Council (ISC) has shown that males 30 years of age and older have a tendency to become detached from sport and physical activity. This is in direct line with the general age males tend to stop playing team sports and although individualized sports such as swimming, running and cycling have all seen a resurgence in recent years especially within the female population there is a steady drop-off within the male population over 30 years of age within sport and physical activity.
The aim of this initiative is simply to provide a gateway into something more challenging but yet attainable, to give those from all sporting and non-sporting backgrounds alike, a chance to push their own physical capabilities in a safe and non-competitive setting. We aim to prove that life and physical activity can begin at 30, and what better way than to try a triathlon and see what all the fuss is about in what has become Irelands fastest growing individual sport.
- Try-a-tri will consist of 250m swim/10km bike/3.5km run
- Training will consist of a 6-week training programme with two sessions per week, one in the pool and one bike/run training session.
- Training will commence on Wednesday the 25th October 2017 with a brief meeting in the Sport Complex beforehand at 7pm.
- Bike & run training will take place in Cleveragh Park every Wednesday (25 Oct Start) evening between 7-8:30 pm
- The swim training will take place in Sligo Regional Sport Complex from 7:50-9pm on Sundays (29 Oct Start)
- The closing Try a Tri event will take place on the weekend of Sat/Sun 2/3 December 2017 (time TBC)
- The total cost for the training and event is only €50
Open to males with limited or no previous experience within triathlon. Some may have taken part as a member of a relay team or some may have experience within multi-sport events such as adventure racing but the idea behind the initiative is to target those that are completely new to the sport and of course those new to sport in general.
- Fitness levels and age profile will vary massively and those with underlying health conditions should be screened by a medical professional before being allowed to commence training.
- Participants must obtain any manner of safe, road worthy bicycle as cycling skills will be lacking in many and the bike will be needed for the duration of the initiative.
- Mountain bikes are advisable unless previous history of cycling exists and there is no clip in shoes allowed on the bike.
- With winter closing in fast weather conditions may be less than ideal so wear appropriate clothing and bring a head torch/bike lamp for safety during training.
· Over 15 hours of quality coaching & an event for nearly €8/week
· Learn to swim/bike and run in a controlled, safe, fun and non-competitive environment
· Receive excellent tips on triathlon, nutrition, injury prevention and recovery from highly experienced coaches
· Training for three sports is challenging but has huge health benefits as the body has to adapt and variety really is the key to longevity within sport.
· Obvious stepping stone for anyone considering triathlon as a progression in sport but unsure of how to go about it
· What better way to kick-start some early new-year resolutions and take the next step.
With Christmas approaching and dark winter nights nearly upon us why not challenge yourself, your work colleague, brother, house mate, or friend’s and give yourself an early present by learning the intricacies of triathlon, the various disciplines, lose some weight and gain fitness and friends along the way.
HOW TO APPLY
You must Fill out the PRE-FORM via the below link
Once you complete the form sign up via the PayPal Link below:
(Note: you cannot sign up on the paypal link until you have completed the survey in step 1).